Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 10, 2014

A Recked gig Review - SAXON THROUGH THE YEARS










As I may have mentioned previously, that since the Pacific Ocean took it upon itself, to drop me on my head and bust me neck up, that I don't go to gigs anymore...I could, but it hurts and I get grumpy and probably wouldnt have a good time...AND...the fkn ticket prices are ridiculous....BUT, no tall fucker stands in front of me when a dvd is playing..so thats one thing in my favor.



So anywhoo, over the yonks I have amassed a quite good collection of gig dvds, and after watching Saxen's Heavy Metal Thunder doco the other day, I watched their gig at Wacken, and the thought occured that gigs on dvd might be an interesting blogaroo occasionally...and since I was watching Byfords boys , lets start with the mighty Saxon.



I have two Saxon dvds on the shelf....the first is Classic Rock Legends and was filmed sometime in or around 1988, I say this, cause Steve Dawson aint in the band and Nibbs Carter is...so I subtracted 9 and divided it by 666 and came up with 1988..so there you go....



the dvd itself was released in 2002...As I was saying, there is no Dobby Dawson.. BUT.. that other twat Graham Oliver is in the band...WHAT, yeah I called him a twat, who else do you know, while in a big band would go behind his bandmates backs and sell a crappy bootleg of the band in concert and then get the shits when they sack him ...man's a goddamn idiot in my opinion...ANYWAY....



Saxon were on fire this night and bang out a cross section of the stuff that brought them to prominence ...and the Christopher Cross cover, which still has me stumped to this very day..did it sell any more records in the States I wonder?...did I mention that it was filmed at, what I'm reliably informed is a crash hot gig, Rock City , Nottingham,..oop Norf...




I must say that they do a cracking version of Denim & Leather (and not cause its my favourite song) and also , by the way and also as well...Jon Parr hops up on stage to jam on "Back on the Streets" to finish the gig



....I cant quite picture John Parr hanging out with Saxon...but he did, so there you go...


NEXT






SO...24 years later in the middle of big farkin paddock in Germany, the boys in Saxon along with 100, 000 of their nearest and dearest conglomerated to have a blast...WACKEN 2012...they shared the various Wacken stage's with a few of my favouirte bands..Scorps, Hammerfall and Gamma Ray,and a crapload of others Ive no idea about...ANYWAY......



An amazing 36 years after starting the band and aged a sprightly 61 years old, Biff led the boys through an amazing set ...Dougy Scarrett was on one axe and the legend that is Paul Quinn was still on the other geetar...Nibbs was bashing away on his bass, 20 something odd years into his Saxon stint and skin basher extroidinaire NIgel Glockler was sat up the back banging the shite out of his tubs.



And I must say, comparing the two gigs, which is never a good thing and I don't recommend you do it, BUT, the 2012 Saxon seem to out heavy the 1988 version....the thunderous groove they set up on "I've got to rock to stay alive" was, is, and shall ever be one of my favourite gig viewing moments.




The band plowed through an outstanding list of SAXONISTIC MARVELOSITY...you can use that if you want when describing the band, be my guest....Yep..truly an awesome gig...Biff said that the band are gonna play their retirement gig at Wacken...in 2045 ...oh by the by...if you like Saxon, your gonna love the doco they did, I do....




...SO THERE YOU GO...the first Recky gig review..what ya reckon..didnt suck huh?...;)

















No comments:

Post a Comment