Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Murray Engleheart's a f**king GENIUS



NOW, anyone that reads this blog of mine would of worked out that I'm a BIG BIG fan of aussie rock from the early to mid 70's, and as I have mentioned before, we can all blame Thorpey forn that .....anyway, I was in Queensland recently, Hervey Bay in particular to check out the whales that pop by for a visit every year, and as is my want I needed something to read on the long arse train trips up to there and back, so I popped into my local shops and went to my usual purveyor of all things readable and much to my happiness I found this marvelous tome by one Murray Englehart...


Have you seen this book?...oh my goodness its a deadset ripper, its got all the tales you could imagine about some of the LOUDEST and most bad-ass aussies ever to strap on a axe and rev up an amp...its got everybody, Lobby, Thorpey , Angry and the Tatts, Buffalo, The Angels, Ian Rilens X, Buster Brown....its just f**king phenomenal...I cant spout enough positive adjectives about this book.


It covers all the Sunbury festivals, the 300,000 Thorpey drew to the Myer Music Bowl (sit on that and spin Seekers) how Buffalo rocked, rolled and self destructed and the subsequent forming of the mighty Rose Tattoo, how you took your life in your hands to watch a Lobby Loyd gig, and speaking of Lobby, there is the tale on how he kept demolishing amps, so a bloke built him a set that was damn near indestructible.


there is the tale of how the Tatts got banned from Countdown and how the Angels went from playing hillbilly jug band music to having packed arenas that resembled paramilitary rally's


AND if your not very careful, you may pick up a working knowledge of harmonics  and how your brain reacts to , lets say, The Tatts, loading so much gear into a club the size of a postage stamp that your brain goes F**K MOI and adjusts itself accordingly


I dug into my stack of music and bashed tgether a compilation for you starring the legends from within the covers of the book...tracks like GOD by Lobby and the Coloured Balls, Assault and Battery by the Tatts, all along the watchtower by the La De Da's and of course I couldnt forget, Somewhere over the rainbow by Thorpey, hell, Billy used to get abused if he didnt play Rainbow, so who am I to forget to incude it,  I hope you get amongst it and eventually track down some of the stuff these blokes released...BUT, dont forget the ear plugs


so anyway to quote the author of this fine collections of historical (and hysterical) story's...this book is both a grand F**k you and a proud salute....so rock on people










5 comments:

  1. Grabbing the file now, thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Recky
    If you like legit Aussie Comps, then keep ya eye out for a recent Double CD called Boogie (Festival Label) - its a fantastic collection of Aussie artists from the 70's
    Got my copy at JB HiFi ($19.99)
    Thanks for this comp by the way !

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez...looks like J.B is gonna end up with yet more of my cash..thanks Aus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aweseom work dude!!!! Do you mind If I post this comp on my blog www.aftersabbath.com ?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. go for it mate...be my guest

    ReplyDelete