Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gimme a D..Gimme a ARKNESS



The last time I saw a leopard skin jumpsuit was...shit, last week on a Steel Panther video, but before that, the last time I saw one was when Justin Hawkins had squeezed his arse into one..HUH, WHAT, you dunno who Justin Hawkins is ....geez, I best learn you up, hey?...





The music industry trumpeted loudly (and proudly I suspect) when grunge showed up and announced that Glam / hair metal was dead...and maybe it was..FOR A LITTLE BIT, then the Hawkins brothers showed up and turned the music world on its earhole...



The first time I saw the clip for I believe in a thing called love, I was hooked, the album was just awesome, it had the riffs and the hooks required to have the listener having a grouse time, the second album was just as good, the modern classic  "One way Ticket to hell and back" was, probably, the best song they had done...lyrically it suggests that the Justin might of had a minor peruvian marching dust problem, which funnily enough HE DID....I had the pleasure to see them at the Big day Out in Sydney, I was probabaly the oldest bugger at the gig, but I cared not a jot....


Anyway the guys have the tunes, they got the look, they got the sense of ridiculous..they got IT...I think its fair to suggest that Justin and his bro are BIG fans of Freddie Mercury, Slade, The Sweet, among others...mind you, Lemmy wasnt a fan of Justins, but me and Lem cant agree on everything....NOW a bit of hystery on the guys



The Darkness formed Lowestoft, Suffolk, England in 2000. The band as it stands consists of Justin Hawkins (lead vocals, guitar), his brother Dan Hawkins (guitar, backing vocals), Frankie Poullain (bass, backing vocals) and Ed Graham (drums)


The Darkness came to prominence with the release of their debut album, Permission to Land, in 2003. Backed by the singles "I Believe in a Thing Called Love", "Growing on Me", "Get Your Hands off My Woman", and "Love is Only a Feeling", the album was certified quadruple platinum in the United Kingdom, with sales of over 1,300,000.



After extensive touring in support of their debut album, Frankie Poullain left the band in 2005, and was replaced by former guitar technician Richie Edwards. The band's second studio album, One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back, was released in November 2005 and the title track continued on in the vein of the ridiculous the guys had created.



 The following year, Justin Hawkins departed from the band after succumbing to and then successfully completing a course of rehabilitation from alcohol and cocaine problems.



As a result, the remaining members formed Stone Gods, which I must admit to not have heard any of their stuff, Dan and the rest continued to perform and record without Justin, who subsequently fronted his own project, Hot Leg, which I have heard and is the grouse





On 15 March 2011, much to my sheer delight, The Darkness announced reunion shows, with original bassist Frankie Poullain, including Download Festival 2011, and the Isle of Wight Festival 2012, and stated that they were currently working on their third studio album.... which they have completed and its called Hot Cakes

















No comments:

Post a Comment