Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 14, 2011

its all Thorpeys fault



  • I thinks its safe to say that i am like I am, musically speaking of course, due to seeing and hearing, live in a paddock full of hippies, a bloke bashing on a Les Paul weilded by "arguably" the greatest rock'n roll singer that ever strode across this continent we call home....I was 12, just a youngun, and by any and all logical thought process's , i should not have been withing COOEE of Sunbury in 73 (or 74)but i was, and this young fella got an education real quick...blame my uncle the mad bugger 


I must say, I grew up in a house full of music, so "pop" music wasn't a new thing to me,....BUT...this pop music at the festival, was a whole other bag of chips sports fans........Colored Balls, Sid Rumpo, Max Merritt, Spectrum, Madder Lake, Matt Taylor, this was stuff i'd not heard much of, and I was addicted straight away, if all those bands werent enough to convert anybody, well...Thorpey finished the job off with a set that i can still see if i close my eyes...too this day I can still hear Thorpey erupting into OOH POO PAH DOO, CC RIDER and of course MOST PEOPLE i KNOW THINK THAT I'M CRAZY....



Thorpe also performed as a solo artist; he relocated to the United States from 1976 to 1996 where he released the space opera Children of the Sun which peaked in the top 40 of the Billboard Pop Album chart in 1979. He worked with ex-Aztec Tony Barber to form a soft toy company in 1987 and co-wrote stories for The Puggle Tales and Tales from the Lost Forests. Thorpe also worked as a producer and composed music scores for TV series including War of the Worlds, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Columbo, Eight Is Enough and Hard Time on Planet Earth.

Thorpe returned to Australia in 1996 and continued as a performer and producer, additionally he knbocked out two autobiographies, Sex and Thugs and Rock 'n' Roll (1996) and Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy) (1998)...both stellar reads I must say.



Thorpie was the unassailable monarch of Australian rock music".Thorpe was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame in 1991. He had a massive coronary in February 2007 and the man we thought indestructable ( along with Bon)was gone.

Thorpey was posthumously appointed a Member of the Order of Australia...could happen to a nicer bloke

I had the great good fortune to see Thorpey many times over the years, none better , it could be argued that one of the loudest nights i've had in yonks was when he helped shut down Boggo Road jail in Brisbane back in 1993,if you can find the DVD fkn grab it...its the goods

 anyway, here is a link to some Thorpey Classics, by all means give them a listen...


HE SAID ..A OOH POO PA DOO...Thorpeys Hits














No comments:

Post a Comment